Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Welcome Back to School!! Week 1


Week 1 of the school year was a blast!  We spent a lot of time getting to know each other and our reading classroom.  We began our week by playing a Get to Know You Game where we found other classmates who had different qualities-like someone who went on a vacation, someone who can play the piano, etc.

We also began our writing workshop program by looking up children's authors: Patricia Polacco, Tomie dePaola, Marc Brown, Doreen Cronin and Ezra Jack Keats.  It was fun to read about how they came from different backgrounds but all reached their writing goals.  

Usually I don't let kids "Shop for Books" until the second week of school but so many of the kiddos kept asking me, "When do we get to pick our own books?!?" that I couldn't resist and by the 4th day we had our own book bags and started filling them with books to read.

My get to know you bag has my UT snow globe, my passport, my Brighton charm bracelets and my camera!

Getting to Know You Bags were something fun we did the first week, too. Everyone brought 4 things that fit in the bag to share with their class.  It was really neat to see everyone's interests and see how much we have in common.  You can see from my bag that I love to travel, UT football, scrapbooking/crafting, my friends and my family.

And Friday we ended our week by decorating our writing journals.  I was AMAZED at how crafty our kids are.  

Please give a huge THANK YOU!!!! to Mrs. Vasquez who donated ribbon to add to our journals and for wrapping them with contact paper to help keep the covers on and protected from rips/tears.  

Welcome to our class!!  We're going to have a fantastic year!!

No comments:

Post a Comment